ALT offers both Direct Dial MeetMe and Toll-Free MeetMe Services:
- Direct Dial MeetMe: Participants dial directly into the IVN phone conference
bridge. Calls made within the Bismarck/Mandan service directory will be local
connections. Calls made outside the Bismarck/Mandan service directory will be
long distance calls and the responsibility of individual callers.
- Toll-Free MeetMe: Participants dial a toll-free 800 number to connect to the
conference. The event requester will be billed for the toll-free charges
used during the conference.
Once connected to the bridge, participants will be prompted to enter an event
passcode followed by the (#) sign to enter the conference. The passcode
ensures event privacy and will be issued by ALT to the event requester.
Mute = *6
Unmute your line = #6
Increase outgoing volume = *9
Decrease outgoing volume = #9
The event requester will be responsible for notifying event participants of the
passcode along with the scheduled date and time of the conference.
Participants will be announced as they enter or leave the conference.
An audio tone alerts participants that the conference will conclude in five
The ALT audio conferencing bridge offers the following features designed to
improve the audio conferencing environment:
Event requester planning tips to ensure a successful event:
Prior to the event, the requester should:
- Notify all participants of the date, start time, and end
time of the conference including directions on making the call and the event's
- Distribute the agenda and other materials through the mail or email.
- Inform participants to stay on the line once they enter the conference. The first
participant will hear an automated announcemnet indicating that they are the first
call to join the conference.
- Inform the participants that they will be asked their name when entering the
On the day of the event:
- If a participant forgets or loses a passcode, he/she
should call the event requester.
- Begin the event on time. Open with an introduction or statement of the
- Take roll call of the participants. This confirms attendance and
informs participants who is on the call.
- Review the agenda and time allotted.
- Audio tones will automatically announce when a participant enters or exits the
- Establish ground rules for asking questions. Prior to speaking say: "This Jane
from Dickinson" or " This is Ted from UND" so that other participants
are aware of who is speaking.
- Keep the group on track. Redirect discussion to the agenda item if necessary.
Ending the Conference:
- An automatic cue tone will alert participants that five minutes remain until
the conclusion of the conference.
- Plan for follow-up activities or set the date and time for the next event.
- The conference will automatically disconnect participants at the scheduled end
- Take the conference call in a private meeting room where extraneous noise
will not interfere with others.
- The conference will be established 5 minutes prior to the scheduled start
- Avoid placing the call on hold, especially in the absence of hold music.
Alternatively, use the mute feature instead.
- If there are more than two people at a site, use a speaker phone or speaker
microphone designed for group use and position the speaker phone/microphone so
that all participants sharing the room can be heard.
- Mute the phone or speaker phone whenever you are not speaking. Covering
the mouthpiece with a hand does not block noise.
- Notify the requester before the conference if you plan to leave early.
- Using a cell phone to take the call is discouraged as they can cause static
and background noise.